Stay Sail

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mikes
    Participant

Hello.  I would like to add a stay sail to a Najad 380. I’m thinking of either a solent or slutter type rig. Anyone have experience with this. Which would be better and how to reinforce the foredeck  for a new forestay. Thanks. Hoping to get some expertise.

giovanni
    Participant

Hey Mike, the only experience I have with a solent rig was pretty awful.  It was on a boat that is made by a very reputable company, that rhymes with Marcia.  Totally silly setup.  A solent setup puts the aft forestay too close to the forward sail to tack without 3 people on deck to pull your sail around the forestay.

My first question would be why do you think you need a second headsail?

My second question would be, what are you currently using for a headsail and how is that one rigged?

Reinforcement of the foredeck will come after you decide whether to put another sail on and where you will anchor the stay.

Honestly, save yourself $ and a headache, you can get away with a single headsail with an emergency storm jib if necessary (lots of ways to rig them).  Putting an additional stay and halyard and backing plate and…. and… and….. doesn’t make sense unless you have a specific problem with the current sail configuration.

Mikes
    Participant

Hi Gio, Thanks for responding. I sailed with a Solent rig in the past. To tack, one must furl in the Genoa and tack, then furl out the genoa on the opposite side. Since I am planning long passages there will be no short tacking, thus I Don’t mind the Solent rig.

The second headsail will be extremely helpful on downwind legs. Also much easier and more efficient in heavier winds than roller furling the genoa as a reef. I can roll out the stay sail instead.

My genoa ( 150% ) is rigged on a Furlex roller furling.

Have a look at Jeanne Socrates set up on her Najad 380. She has single-handed around the globe several times. I would like this rig. I know it will be expensive.

Could you explain to me how to rig an emergency storm jib on a standard Najad Sloop rig.

Very best.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.